Wednesday, May 23, 2007

It's official....



To all outward appearances, I may resemble a normal (ish?) 27-year-old woman. Maybe a little on the edge, what with the piercings and tattoos and stuff. A little kicky. A little wild. A little... sumthin' sumthin'.... (suggestive eyebrow wiggle).


Lies. All lies. You see, as it turns out, emotionally speaking, I am actually a 67-year-old woman named Ida, who collects those ghastly little fat kid figurines and has a poster of a wretched looking kitten with the caption, "Hang on there, baby, Friday's coming!" (note: I actually am very fond of the name Ida. This is the only thing keeping me from the abyss.)


Frick. Frickity frick frick frick.


I don't even know how or when it happened. One day, I'm feeling relatively "hip", "with it", and the next....


I'm watching freakin' ballroom dancing with bated breath, while frantically humming Frank Sinatra along with the quick-step performance. And it was really, really good! Frick. And I mean, really, really good.
Oh yeah, and I also passed up M&Ms in favour of pumpkin seeds. Pumpkin seeds, people! Next thing, it will be prunes.
And another thing? I'm wearin' my glasses right now. That's right! Even though I look better with my contacts, I know that long term wearing can result in a higher risk of eye disease and various other complaints.
I'm so f**king screwed.
On a completely different tack, for a moment, (before I return to wallowing in my own delicious self-pity) I have endeared myself immeasurably to my colleagues at work. At about 4:00, I pushed back from my desk, cursed out my computer, and then announced my intention to my fellow cubicle minion. "Yo Sandra*(*not her real name). I'm on a quest for chocolate. You want anything?" Sandra was doin' good, so after making inquiries of the other ladies, I embarked on my quest. And I make it to the upstairs hallway connecting the Cancer Centre and the main hospital. Unbeknownst to me, apparently this hallway, for the brief time I needed a fatty, sugary snack, had become, "The Hallway of Supermodels with little tiny butts and size zero jeans. (I mean really, who the hell makes size zero jeans? It's not even logical!)" Now I am by no means fat (as long as you don't ask my dad, who by many accounts is kind of an idiot/expert when it comes to destroying people's self esteems). But I am tallish and half English, which means that even if I suddenly lost, oh, let's say 50 pounds, my skeletal structure would still not fit into anything remotely approaching a size zero (hiss). It's the Viking, I'm told. Or the milkman. I was never really clear which.
But I digress. Anyway, I successfully navigated "The Hallway of Supermodels with little tiny butts and size zero jeans", and made it to the canteen to purchase... A jumbo box of Junior Mints. 'Cause they're low-fat, right? Right? But still delicious. I have made the perfect choice, ha ha ha ha. Unfortunately, I still had to navigate said "Supermodel/tiny butt/size zero" hallway with a huge box of chocolate. Yeah, I know they're looking at me. Judging me. Thinking, "Fat". Of course, that would be if their poor, glucose-starved brains were able to form a coherent thought other than, "So... hungry..." (Look at me, I'm Judge Judgington!) I made it back, doled out the Junior Mints, and relayed my story to Sandra. She made the appropriate noises (haha... aww...of course you're not fat! Awww...haha), and we got into a discussion about healthy eating. This is where I think I endeared myself the most. "Sandra," I said, "you know that little voice in the back of your head, that quiet voice that says, 'hey, how about some carrot sticks instead of those Junior Mints? Or celery? Yummy!' It was screaming at me while I navigated that hallway. And you want to know something invaluable... Something I learned during this emotional journey?" "What?" Sandra asked. "Sometimes you gotta punch that voice right in the mouth and say, 'Not now, bitch! I'm eatin' Junior Mints!'"
I may have made her spray coffee on her computer. I don't know. Information Systems doesn't know. I'm not saying either way.
Back to self pity mode again for one moment. Anybody got a surefire method of fixing a piercing infection? My navel is spewing pus like one of those soft-serve Milky Dame "ice cream" fountains. Oh, and no wise-ass stuff like, "Take the piercing out, stupid.", because this baby is staying in, damn it.

7 Comments:

At 8:45 AM , Blogger Cori Quite Contrary said...

Take the piercing out, stupid.

I had the same supermodel dilemma with popcorn yesterday. The problem with eating popcorn at the movies is that movie screens are full of people like Kirsten Dunst who even in giant size are still smaller than my ass.

I love Junior Mints, but the day I left them in my car in 30C weather and THEY DID NOT MELT I immediately stopped eating them. Chocolate that does not melt is unnatural and probably full of alien technology.

 
At 1:37 PM , Blogger cenobyte said...

Don't take the piercing out, actually. The pus all builds up inside and the piercing closes over and it just causes a lot more hassle than it's worth.

What you need is some polysporin and possibly some hydrogen peroxide, which is going to hurt like a sonofabitch, but it's going to get that pus out of there. Douse your piercing in Hydrogen Peroxide (which will dry out the skin around your piercing, and will turn your jewelry black if it has silver in) then coat that jewelry in polysporin and twist it all the way through. Do this a couple of times a day.

You can also use tea tree oil instead of peroxide. Don't use alcohol externally.

The best way to get back at those supermodels is to surround yourself with friends who are bigger than you. Then you look *tiny* in comparison.

Sadly, I am now bigger than all of my friends. Want to come over and feel better about yourself?

(sigh)

 
At 5:10 PM , Blogger Siochain said...

AAAAAAUuuuuugghhh..... Oh sweet mother of God, it burns!
Oooo... bubbles. Neat. AAIIIiiiiyyeeeeee!

 
At 9:34 PM , Blogger Cori Quite Contrary said...

cenobyte is beautiful and no matter ridiculous things like relative size (even were it true) would still never make me feel better about myself. For the record.

It sounds much less complimentary when I put it that way, though.

 
At 9:51 PM , Blogger Jenn & Owen said...

you're not supposed to put peroxide on a piercing. You should use saline. This is from my wife who had her navel pierced, and has relatively little scarring to show for it.

 
At 2:15 PM , Blogger neuba said...

Great post....made me smile.

 
At 11:07 PM , Blogger Suz said...

I giggled enough at your post that Cheruby wanted to know what it said. I had to read it to him. Poor stable boy is still learning to read.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home