Saturday, June 10, 2006


This is how much of a science geek I am. But first, "BACKGROUND!"
I work in cancer research. This means I am indescribably poor. Because working in academic research pays poorly. Because money doesn't go to cancer research. It goes to important medical problems. Like erectile dysfunction. (ed. note: I have not actually seen the funding allotment profiles for my place of employment. I am just bitter, because I have had 7 years of education and would earn more working as a dishwasher at Earl's. Not that there's anything wrong with that position. But I doubt you need a Masters degree. I'm not sure. I haven't actually applied. But I think it's a valid inference.
Anyway... My points can be summarized thusly:
1) Work in research
2) Don't have a lot of spare fundage.
Anybody who knows me knows that I have a cup of coffee practically grafted to my hand at most hours of the day. Knowing this, and knowing the funding situation, one would think that I would make use of the coffee maker in the office in order to most economically fund my habit.
I don't.
Because there is a thick layer of three different mold colonies growing in the bottom of the coffee pot.
When I noticed this, did I:
a) clean out the coffee pot, run it through the autoclave to remove any chance spores, and henceforth keep the coffee pot properly sanitized?
or
b) take pictures of the mold, and based on i) colony morphology ii) colour iii) physical appearance, determine what species of molds are in the coffee pot?
Yup.
Here they are, in no particular order.
Penicillium spp., Trichoderma spp., and Sclerotinia spp.
I rule.
And will probably be single for the rest of my life. Lots and lots of cats will eat my shriveled old lady body. And they'll all be named Miss Pretty Prancin' Paws.

3 Comments:

At 2:23 PM , Blogger K. Donovan said...

Be sure to leave notes as to the species of mold in your apartment for when we find your shrivelled, cat-gnawed remains.

Oh hey, are we climbing tomorrow or what?

 
At 11:26 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. » »

 
At 9:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... Home alarm security systems http electronickits.com kit Thank you for a job well done Four block instructional model travel mexico Purcahse tramadol David-andersen norway neck ring Italian license plate frames web search engine optimization kia

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home