Sunday, January 21, 2007


Welcome to Edmonton, the New Jersey of Alberta. Sorry about the fires.


This morning concluded my first full week in the arctic tundra of Edmonton. (Kidding, it's either no' so bad, or I'm getting used to it). So, thoughts on it? I really don't like fire alarms. Or fires. I vaguely remember O. and J. talking about fires/fire alarms in their apartments, and I can only guess it must be some sort of wierd "Welcome to Edmonton" thing that newcomers are not privy to. Early last Sunday, about 2:30 am, some drunk jackass thought it would be a good idea to pull the alarm. (Funny aside. I actually slept through the alarm. Bne had to shake me awake. Ironically, all he would have had to do was snore once in my ear to shoot me bolt upright, shaking with righteous anger and sleep deprivation.) So there we are, me, Bne, my Mum and her little dog. We had the worst response time in the world. I'd like to claim partial credit, but really, a lot of it had to do with Mum needing to coordinate her coat and boots, and getting Butter Chubs Jr. all wrapped up in her blankey before we could escape the flames. Yeeaaaaahh.......
So it turns out to be a false alarm. And I go back to bed, swearing about Bne's apartment, although, bless his heart, it wasn't his fault. I just needed to blame something, and his apartment building was right there, minding its own business. Fast forward to Friday night. I have successfully completed my first week at work. More about that later. We go out for dinner at Bne's swankity restaurant, the "Buttery Meat House" (motto: "Yup, it's a heart attack.") and go over to a friend's house to watch Bon Cop, Bad Cop (awesome!). We return about 2 am, and notice there are numerous fire trucks on our block. I jokingly said, "If that's our building, I'm going back to Calgary." Famous last words. There was a fire on the floor below our apartment. Fortunately for us, the smoke damage was limited to that floor, as should it should be for one who doesn't check to see if their cigarette is out before chucking it in the trash. Xtreme Stupid. So that's been my Edmonton experience so far. I'll talk about my job later, when I get a better bead on it.
And lastly, a private missive to Kovbasa. Be good, be safe, and take care of yourself. Be good to yourself, because not many people deserve it as much as you do. You are very important to the world. Remember what Markus Aurelius said, "The universe is change; our life is what our thoughts make it." Make yours wonderful.

2 Comments:

At 10:44 AM , Blogger Jenn & Owen said...

Welcome to Edmonton and appartment life in large buildings! Isn't it Grand!!! Bwaaahaaa haa haa! Only 4 more months for us! Anyhow, you should call us and we can definately get together soon!
~J

 
At 6:06 AM , Blogger Stina said...

Congrats on the big move! I hope you're having a good time, that work is going well and that those damn fire alarms have stopped going off!

Ours did that the first few months after we moved into our condo- it got to the point where I'd hear the alarm. (It's hard not to) I'd check outside, no smoke. Then I'd check the hallways, no smoke. Then I assumed I'd have time to get dressed and brush my hair before heading out of the building to wait for the fire department to shut the damn alarm off. Ugh.

Now I'm in the house where there are just smoke detectors to go off. So it's not quite as bad- although... we did have the smoke detector near our bedroom go off at abou 4am one morning. That was pretty freaky- don't know why, but we learned that babies don't wake up to smoke alarms!! So there is the loud, shrieking noise and Lochlan slept through the entire thing!!!

Anyway- I hope things keep going well for you and that this job is better for you than the last one was. Best of Luck! TTYL.

(Oh- and I've moved my blog over to typepad- the-juggling-act.typepad.com they have some privacy options that blogger doesn't. Not that I use them... but at least I have the option.)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home