Sunday, July 23, 2006

So I didn't get the job. The one I talked about before... I got an e-mail saying how impressed they were with me. And they were keeping my CV should any future job postings come up. At first, I was like, "Oh, how nice of them to let me know. I am appreciative." But after about the fifth e-mail like this, it's more like, "What the *&#$&%ing hell, people?!? If you're so damned impressed with me, give me the job, for the love of syphilitic monkeys!!!!" (Hey. They need love too. It may just chafe more.) To be honest, I'm not really that bummed out, because it would have been yet another thankless lab monkey position, they were actually offering less salary than posted, and it was only a 6 month contract. But maybe, just maybe, I could have bought a boat with that money. Or paid down my student loans, something practical like that. But I really think I'd prefer the boat. It's okay, though, because I have another position I have been informed about that would be totally, amazingly awesome and would be a perfect fit for me. So I can't discuss it any further, as per the standard Murphy's Law clause. But should anything happen, I will keep people informed.
So! I also saw M. Night Shyamalan's new movie, "Lady In The Water", this weekend. Loved it. My theory as to why various critics have panned this and several of his past movies, is that it would seem that a certain level of intelligence is required to enjoy these movies. I'm certainly not tooting my own horn here, (because the only horn I have access to is in the Stroniach Bland Slam, or "Alby", as I affectionately refer to it; I'm fairly certain that activation of said horn mechanism would almost definitely result in some potentially fatal dysfunction in another part of this oh-so-crappity mobile of mine), but both my mother and my brother, the two most intelligent people I know and have the pleasure of being related to, (which means they have to pretend to like me and tolerate me no matter what!) enjoyed the movie as well. So.... EVERYBODY, GO SEE THIS MOVIE OR I WILL SHAVE YOUR CATS. OR DOGS. OR BOYFRIENDS (and believe me... some of them need it!).
In other news, I had several benign run-ins with my brother this weekend. S'all good, we are friends again. I think a lot of the disagreements stemmed from a few key points:
1) I'm emotionally unstable, or "nuttier than a s**t-house rat", in medical terms.
2) I have a really, really screwed up sense of what is funny and what isn't. For instance, pretending to run over somebody with your car. Not funny, as it turns out. Once I actually let that pink gelatinous mass in my cranium mull it over for a few minutes, turns out that it is indeed, not funny. Which brings me to point number 3.
3) Most of the time, I'm a flaming idiot.
4) Thank the lord god above he's the forgiving type. Cause you do NOT want him mad at you.
To expound upon the last point, I feel it is pertinent to mention that we are of Irish descent. Which means that we are either idiotic fighters who act first and think it over later (me), or we are the quiet, intelligent, intellectual type, who, when they are mad at you, will do nothing but stare at you with a piercing glare of disdain and disgust (him). This seriously reduces me to a snivelling, pathetic pile of goo in about 2 seconds. Damn. I hope he doesn't read this, because then he'll know his super power.
Anyway, the point of all this was that we were talking it over earlier tonight, and I was like, "It's just my sense of humour, man. We're like two ships, passing in the night." And he's like, "Yeah, it's just that your ship is like the one crowded with idiots on spring break." To which my reply was, "Yeah? Oh... Oh yeah? Well, um... Your ship is like... um... it's like the senior cruise where everyone is breaking their hip and playing shuffleboard and stuff." Oooohhhhh, yeaahhhhh..... Still got it. I bet he's still reeling from that little burn. I really need to work on my trash talk.

3 Comments:

At 7:30 AM , Blogger Steve said...

To be fair, your brother does spend an appreciable amount of time thinking out - and commiting to memory - insults for every possible occasion. People like you and I are merely amateurs. He's a true professional.

 
At 10:03 PM , Blogger K. Donovan said...

No, you're thinking of Mike Holmes.

 
At 9:14 PM , Blogger Stina said...

Too bad about the one job, yay about the other job and I'm glad you're good with your brother. I rather like your brother. Now we have even more hands for our Jamaican rum smuggling trips. Mmmm... Jamaican Rum.

But I'll have to take a pass on the movie. We'll rent the DVD- I don't see The Lady in the Water being the choice movie for the one showing you CAN bring your baby to. But we'll rent the DVD. Promise.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home